September 12–16, 2016
The advantage of the Boise course is that it will be held in conjunction with the 22nd International Symposium on QFD (Sept. 9–10, 2016), allowing you to see a wide range of real world QFD applications from around the world and network with international QFD leaders. This is also once a year opportunity to attend both QFD Green Belt® and QFD Black Belt® training in a single trip, at significant discounts (see Registration page for details). If these dates do not work for you, please contact QFDI for more options.
The only internationally recognized QFD certificate programs authorized by Dr. Akao (founder of QFD), in this fast-paced, information-packed training, you will learn advanced techniques of Modern QFD, Comprehensive QFD, how to correctly create and use a House of Quality matrix, downstream deployments, how to expertly link QFD and DFLS/DFSS, as well as advanced Quality Design and organizational methodologies such as Kansei Engineering, Hoshin, New Kano Model, TRIZ, and ISO 16355.
This is an advanced QFD training for Facilitators, Project Leaders, Lean Sigma / DFSS / Phase-gates BB/MBB, and professionals in Design, Quality, Marketing, Innovation, NPD, Customer Requirements Management (CRM) and Corporate Excellence. This is also a good place for corporate training scout and project managers to test the water.
You will receive the QFD Black Belt® training manual (1,000 pages), Modern QFD templates in Excel, and a complete set of case studies and research papers from 1989–2014 (digital copy).
Testimonials & Companies that have sent employees to this training...
For questions, please contact the QFD Institute, Tel: +1 206-203-3575.
- Hands-on practice of Modern QFD on a team project;
- Step-by-step instruction of several standard QFD deployments;
- In-depth review of important Modern QFD tools and deployments
- Understanding of the full depth and breadth of Modern Comprehensive QFD;
- Implementation and auditing strategies for ISO 16355; and
- The QFD Black Belt® training manual (about 1,000 pages) and templates.
- Advanced, Modern QFD tools and analytic methods for quality, strategy, management, product planning, decision making, invention, and design;
- Voice of Gemba — QFD's unique approach to customer visits, and how to design Gemba Visits and new Gemba Analysis tools;
- Semi-customized deployments common to most industries, such as project, customer, quality, technology, function, reliability, cost, manufacturability, production, service, etc.;
- How to input, process, and output field data for each deployment;
- Incorporating Blitz QFD® (matrix-free QFD for immediate results) into Dr. Akao's Comprehensive QFD to speed up the process;
- Improved algorithms for defining Customer Needs (Demanded Quality) for "new-to-world" products and services;
- Why and how of replacing ordinal scale calculations with ratio scale calculations of customer needs priorities, sales point, competitive benchmarking, and matrix relationship weights, to improve the meaningfulness and accuracy of QFD in a Six Sigma / Lean Sigma world;
- How to expertly link QFD with Design for Six Sigma / Lean Sigma (DFSS / DFLS) ;
- Introduction to Lifestyle Deployment and emotional quality with Kansei Engineering ;
- Integration of New Kano methods ;
- Enhancing Customer Need Hierarchy Diagram with measures, targets, and Kano categories ;
- Using Customer Voice Table with specification documents ;
- Introduction to General Theory of Innovation, a TRIZ-evolved new-to-world business innovation method for general business management ;
- New ISO 16355 standard for QFD .
The resulting benefits you may expect upon successful completion of this course include:
- Mastery of generic Modern QFD tools and deployments and knowledge of how Comprehensive QFD works
- Knowledge of new-to-world methods in product development, quality and innovation, and how they can be incorporated into projects
- Knowledge of how to facilitate a QFD project team
- Provisional QFD Black Belt® Certificate
To assure the integrity of your certificate as demonstrated in application, full status QFD Black Belt® will be earned upon successful completion of:
- Having a QFD Master Black Belt® custom-tailor a QFD process for your company;
- Co-facilitating a QFD project with the QFD Master Black Belt® using your custom-tailored QFD process (apprentice); and
- Facilitating by yourself a second QFD project using your custom-tailored QFD process and submitting your work to a QFD Master Black Belt® for approval (journeyman).
- Your laptop computer or tablet with MS Excel® and Adobe Acrobat® as you will receive QFD software templates and case studies on CD, USB, or by Email.
- Relevant marketing and technical data for a small project or a part of a large project that you are currently working on or plan to work on in the future. → Detailed instructions on this will be sent to you with your registration receipt or invoice.
IMPORTANT: There is no need to reveal any confidential data. The goal is to make the QFD exercises real and meaningful to you! If it is not feasible to bring such data, you may join others or use a generic or hobby project.
- (Optional) You may also bring your project team and learn as your work on a real project.
- QFD Black Belt® Course Training Manual (1,000 pages)
- Modern QFD templates
- Case studies and papers from the QFD Institute Symposium 1989 - 2016 (digital copy)
NOTE: Please plan extra room in your suitecase to take your course manual home, or plan to ship it home at the end of the course (we will help you make shipping arrangements if you would like.)
Please use Registration Forms.
Three (3) Registration Options:
QFD Black Belt® Package #1 (Prerequisites apply)
2-day Int'l Symposium + 1/2-day QFD Green Belt® Update + 5-day QFD Black Belt®
QFD Facilitator's Package (No prerequisites)
2-day QFD Green Belt® + 2-day Int'l Symposium + 5-day QFD Black Belt®
- You can attend this QFD Black Belt® Course without prerequisites when you select Facilitator's Package.
- Otherwise, the following prerequisites apply: ("Why prerequisites for the QFD Black Belt® course?")
- You have a full-status QFD Green Belt® or provisional QFD Green Belt® issued by the QFD Institute.
- If your provisional QFD Green Belt® was earned more than 18 months ago, you may be required to refresh your skills in the QFD Green Belt® UPDATE before attending this advanced course. Please contact us.
Team Discounts: When three (3) or more people enroll from the same company—in any program combinations, we offer the following incentives. The discounts will be reflected from the statement of the 3rd attendee:
- $100 per person discount for QFD Green Belt® Package;
- $200 per person discount for QFD Facilitator's Package, QFD Black Belt® Package #1, or QFD Black Belt® Package #2;
- $100 per person discount for QFD Black Belt® Update Package.
For questions, please contact QFDI.
Glenn H. Mazur (www.mazur.net)
- Executive Director, QFD Institute and International Council for QFD (ICQFD)
- Certified QFD Red Belt® (international)
- Certified QFD-Architekt #A21907 (QFD Institut Deutschland)
- 1998 Akao Prize® winner for Excellence in QFD
- Academician, International Academy for Quality
- Application / implementation expert
- Trained over 2,000 QFD Green Belts® worldwide
- Kansei Engineering Lifestyle QFD expert
- Convenor of ISO 16355 standard for QFD
- President, Japan Business Consultants, Ltd.
- Senior Member of ASQ
- Member of Japanese Society for Quality Control
- National Academies of Science Board, Innovation (ret.)
- Adjunct faculty, University of Michigan (ret.)
The QFD Institute permits only full status QFD Black Belts® who have successfully completed the "train-the-trainer course" or higher to teach its QFD Green Belt® Courses. Individuals' QFD Belt status may be verified through the QFD Institute office.